Emily and Phoebe

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A hill o' (black and white) beans

I have a large tin of dried beans that I use for blind baking. Some are black, some are white. The girls have decided to sort them into two piles. I am slightly worried by this. Even though I understand that there is a therapeutic quality to boring repetitive tasks that require no thinking, this is worryingly close to being an aptitude test for the Greek public service, and I am concerned that when they are older this might be the kind of job that they look for. (A job in the Greek public service, I mean. I realise that jobs sorting beans into piles are few and far between.)



But then they arrange the beans into a pattern. Phew! They do have a creative side after all. What a relief! They will have fabulous and fulfilling careers in the Arts and never do anything boring or repetitive at all. Hurrah!

4 Comments:

Blogger Saigon & Baygon Inc. said...

I confess, I laughed out loud reading your post. :-D
However, I can't believe you doubted your daughters' artistic talents! I think the first thing I ever commented on, was Emily's drawing of her hand in a sleeve.
Perhaps they would be interested in sand mandalas? Or even their own version of bean mandalas? LOL

Saigon

11:45 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Hey Saigon,

I had to google "sand mandalas" to find out what they are - impressive stuff, eh? But where would one find the coloured sand? (Phoebe said we should paint it ourselves!)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Saigon & Baygon Inc. said...

Well I'm glad you guys found out about something new because of me! *beaming*
The girls could start by downloading some printable mandalas for colouring. If you have a garden, they could improvise with various types of beans, lentils, pasta etc. And finally, you can always try colouring salt or sugar with pastry colours! Now that would be amazing, wouldn't it? :-D

Saigon

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Paul said...

Good ideas, all. We'll have to give that a try!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home