Emily and Phoebe

Sunday, March 29, 2009

In the dark

Well, we kept everything switched off for an hour last night, during which time we played old-fashioned board games by candlelight and would undoubtedly (if we had had a piano) have enjoyed a jolly good sing-song. (If we had had a piano and knew how to play it, of course, because enjoying a sing-song around a piano that's not being played is just silly.) There was such an atmosphere of Victorian conviviality that I really felt as if I ought to be reading aloud to the family from the latest installment of a serial publication by Mr Dickens. The only latest installment of a serial pubication that we had in the house was SpongeBob SquarePants magazine, though, which would not have been quite the same, I think.

Anyway, from the point of view of educating the kids about saving energy and climate change, the hour without power was a great success. In fact, they said they were having a great time and wanted to do it again next week! On the other hand, I've rarely seen them move as fast as when the hour was up and they rushed to switch on the TV again...

2 Comments:

Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

LOL! I didn't participate because we practice Earth Day every day through solid, constant practices. However, I do think what you did was worthwhile for your children.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Well yes, energy-wise it's obviously a drop in the ocean and I would certainly have felt a bit self-conscious sitting in the dark all on my own. Βut as you say, I think it was a good way of raising the kids' awareness.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home