Emily and Phoebe

Sunday, September 21, 2008

English lessons

While Emily's spoken English is excellent, far better than I ever hoped or imagined it would be, her reading is a bit uncertain and even though she's been doing English for a year at school, her writing is pretty basic. Now that so many of her friends have started going to language school, I think there's a real possibility that some of them could actually overtake her in some areas, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but would probably make her feel bad (especially if other kids start to make fun of her for not knowing English as "well" as they do).

I am therefore trying to persuade her that we should start doing English lessons together. This is a prospect which, it has to be said, does not leave either of us jumping for joy. Emily because she obviously doesn't want to spend more time than at present doing "homework", and me because I can see arguments and resentment ahead (she has a slight tendency to lose her temper with me on the rare ocasions that I am brave enough to help her with her schoolwork).

So anyway, she doesn't seem especially keen, but on the other hand she does want to learn how to do joined-up handwriting, so maybe that's a way in to English lessons...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home