Emily and Phoebe

Thursday, June 05, 2008

I Spy

Phoebe and I have just dropped Emily off at school and are continuing our game of I Spy. It is Phoebe's turn. "I spy with my little eye something beginning with luh," she says. (We play using sounds rather than letters, as she doesn't know the alphabet yet.)

I look around. I can't see anything beginning with L. Usually it's ph for Phoebe, kuh for car, tuh for tree and occasionally puh for poo (depending on how active the local dogs have been).

"Ummm. I don't know, darling. What begins with luh?"

"Late!" she cries triumphantly.

"Late? What do you mean?"

"Emily's late! We didn't leaved the house on time this morning and now she's late!"

"Well, that's very clever," I chuckle, "but actually we only play I Spy with things we can see, like cars, trees, or, um, poo."

She looks at me, disappointed at my inability to grasp the completely obvious, and explains carefully: "Daddy, look at the playground. Emily is the only one there and she is running to her classroom. All the other children have goed inside. I can see she's late!"

To which, of course, I can only say, "Well done, my love. You're absolutely right."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids are so much smarter than us sad grown-ups !

I love your stories about your children. I wish I could write more about my kid on my blog. I do sometimes but have had to stop because of hateful comments. Sad but I have focussed on other aspects of living in Greece so... "I made my bed. I have to lie in it" as they say.

Thank you for allowing me to indulge in my love of the smart things kids say and do !

11:32 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Thanks as always, DD, for dropping by. It's nice to know there's someone beyond my immediate family and friends interested in the girls' adventures!

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home